When the hot summer months roll around, air conditioners can get pushed to the limit. We always know we’ll get a lot of phone calls for air conditioner repair during those July and August heat waves.
Rising temperatures can strain air conditioning units that are not properly maintained, not only stopping them from working, but turning them into fire hazards.
Air conditioners cause an average of 20 deaths, 140 injuries, and $82 million in property damage in the U.S. annually according to a 2016 report by the National Fire Protection Association.
Not only can they cause fires, there are thousands of injuries from electrocution, back injuries, lacerations, abrasions, and sprains from people working on air conditioners themselves.
Because we would hate for you or anyone else to be injured, even in a minor way, by their air conditioning unit, we’ve put together a list of safety tips for air conditioners.
Air Conditioning Safety Tips
- Change your air filter to keep it clean and reducing strain on the unit.
- Ensure an adequate and safe power supply to your unit.
- Avoid using an extension cord, which can become overheated and cause a fire hazard.
- Make sure the space around your HVAC unit is clear of any flammable and combustible items.
- Have your HVAC system inspected by a professional at least once a year, or ideally in both spring and autumn.
- Make sure your window unit is properly anchored into your window so that if a fire were to start, the seal between the bracket and the opening will prevent the flames from coming into your home
- Check your fan and cooling unit occasionally to make sure cords and plugs are in good condition.Make sure your air conditioner has a label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc., MET Laboratories Inc. or NSF International.
- Other than visual safety inspections, you should have all HVAC work done by a trained professional.
If you need air conditioning repair, contact AccuMax
AccuMax provides you air conditioning repair to get your AC running again as soon as possible.
AccuMax Inc is a full-service HVAC heating and cooling company providing, repair, installation, and maintenance of air conditioning, central air, furnaces, and more. Located in Aurora, IL, we serve the western suburbs including Naperville, Aurora, Oswego, Batavia, Wheaton, North Aurora, Lombard, Downers Grove, Warrenville, Darien, Westmont, Willowbrook, Clarendon Hills, Westchester, LaGrange, Willow Springs, Lisle, Riverside, Woodridge, Plainfield, Oak Brook, and Hinsdale among others.